For ages 5-18
Herrick District Library is excited to host another summer of writing with our 2023 short story contest: "Choose Your Story." Stories are judged in four different age categories: ages 5-7, 8-10, 11-13, & 14-18.
Entries accepted June 1 through August 1. Late entries will not be accepted.
All authors and winners will be celebrated at our Story Celebration Ceremony on August 24th. All entries will be bound into a book that can be checked out at both library locations!
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST:
1. Go over the short story rules below.
2. Email your submissions to email@example.com
3. Questions about the contest may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
RULES FOR SUBMISSION:
Manuscripts that do not meet the following requirements will not be judged.
1. Write your story in a word processing program. Stories can be dictated and typed out by a grownup if assistance is needed. Illustrations are welcome but not required!
2. Writers may submit one story only.
3. Stories must be written by only one writer.
4. Writers must be between the ages of 5 and 18.
5. Previously published stories will not be accepted.
6. Manuscripts must be typed on white 8 ½” x 11” (standard) paper in Arial size 12 font and double spaced. Handwritten entries are not accepted.
7. Stories can be no more than 2500 words total.
8. Include the title and page number in the upper right-hand corner of every page.
9. Manuscripts must be submitted in PDF or Word format.
10. A completed entry form MUST but submitted for your entry to be judged and accepted (fill out the form at this link, which will also be emailed to you once you submit your story. Also available to pick up at both library locations).